Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 15 Mins
Serving: 4 (6-inch) sandwiches
We have never been down south to have a traditional ‘poor boy’ but we’ve watched enough episodes of Diners, Drive In’s & Dives to get the gist. It’s basically a sub sandwich and the protein is deep fried with southern flavours. Seems simple enough, let’s do this Guy Fieri.
FRIED SHIITAKE MUSHROOM MARINADE:
- 20 shiitake mushrooms (stems removed, they can get woody and not pleasant)
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 6 tbsp tap water
- 1 C plant milk
- ¼ C apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (this is a key ingredient; you can find it at Whole Foods)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 C grapeseed oil for frying
- ½ C panko bread crumbs
- ¼ C corn meal
- ¼ C whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 C Cashew crème
- 4 of your favourite sandwich buns
- 2 C finely chopped iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2-3 of your favourite dill pickles, sliced
- Mix together ground flax and water and place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to goopy.
- Mix together plant milk, apple cider vinegar, vegan Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and black pepper. Add the flax mix once it’s goopy and then pour it over all the shiitake mushrooms into a large container. Toss until everything is coated. Pop it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Mix the breading ingredients and set aside.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a large deep skillet to 375F.
- Remove a couple mushrooms from the marinade and place into the breading, using a spoon, coat each mushroom. Place each piece into the hot oil and fry for 2-4 minutes, flipping half way.
- Once cooked, remove with tongs and place the fried pieces onto paper towel to absorb excess oil. Continue this process until all the mushrooms are cooked. I suggest doing it in batches.
- Cut buns in half, spread the crème on either side, layer with lettuce, tomato, pickles and top with that deep fried mushroom goodness. Serve and enjoy!