Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Serving: 3-4 medium salads
We love roasted vegetables in the winter months especially squash. The most popular kind, butternut squash, has it’s pros and cons – rich and sweet with a wonderful texture it’s also huge, tough (the dreaded peeling process alone is enough to abandon the idea) and takes a long time to cook. As much as we love it, sometimes you just can’t be bothered so we searched for alternatives. Enter Delicata – small, easy to clean, and even creamier than butternut, it’s a real gem!
This salad is perfect for a cold winter night when you want something warm, comforting and filling. The brown rice and lentils add lots of protein and fibre to keep you full all night long.
LEMON TAHINI DRESSING
- ¼ Cup Tahini
- ¼ Cup Fresh Lemon Juice (1 lemon)
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves
- 4 Tbs Nutritional Yeast (Nooch)
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbs Grapeseed Oil
- 2 Tbs Water
- In a food processor, add garlic, tahini, lemon, nooch, salt, pepper, oil, and water. If the dressing is too thick add 1 Tbs of water or oil until you get your desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and place in fridge until everything else is cooked
ROASTED SQUASH & KALE SALAD
- 2 Delicata Squash (Organic is possible because you are eating the skin)
- 1 Tbs Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Short Grain Brown Rice (dry)
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Bay Leaves (optional)
- ½ Cup French Lentils (Dry)
- 1 ½ Cup Water
- 1 Bunch Dino Kale
- ½ Pomegranate
- Handful of Seeds (We used Sunflower Seeds)
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F
- Wash and deseed delicata squash, cut the squash into C shape, toss in a bowl with oil, salt and pepper. Place squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, put into the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the squash, flip it, and place back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Place rice in a medium pot over high heat with 2 Cup water or vegetable stock, add bay leaves if using. Once the water comes to roaring boil, turn to low and cover until cooked (about 30 minutes).
- Place lentils in a medium pot over high heat with 1 ½ cups water or vegetable stock, once the water come to roaring boil, turn to low and cover until cooked (about 25 minutes).
- Wash kale thoroughly and cut into bite size pieces. Place in large salad bowl with ½ cup of dressing. Massage the kale with your hands so that it is combines with the dressing. Allow the kale to sit in the dressing until the rest of the dish is cooked.
- Once everything is cooked, add squash, rice and lentils into a bowl with kale and the dressing. Mix well to combine, ensuring that everything is coated in the dressing.
- Pimp out the salad with pomegranate seeds and sunflower seeds or whatever you happen to have on hand
- Enjoy 🙂